Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

bus or train to Ohara 2011/8/19 12:23
We are going to Ohara from Kyoto in the middle of November.
Understand there are direct bus services to Ohara bus terminal. Aternatively, there is direct train from Kyoto to Kokusaikaikan station and from here either a short taxis/bus ride to Ohara.
My question is which way is more convenient bearing in mind that we have two bags and some smaller items to carry.
Any comments are welcome.
Thanks
by tju (guest)  

... 2011/8/19 13:47
My question is which way is more convenient bearing in mind that we have two bags and some smaller items to carry.

If you can get a seat on the bus, the direct bus will be more comfortable. But on some busy days you might not be able to get a seat. There is also a risk that the bus gets delayed in traffic jams around central Kyoto.

The subway/bus option via Kokusaikaikan tends to be more reliable, because the subway won't get affected by traffic jams in central Kyoto. And the bus from Kokusaikaikan to Ohara tends to be less crowded than the direct bus from Kyoto Station. If the connection is good, this option is also likely to be faster, but if you just miss a bus, you can wait quite a bit for the next departure. You might want to look up the timetable in advance.
by Uji rate this post as useful

.... 2011/8/19 14:19
Thanks Uji for your prompt reply!

We would do the train and taxis/bus from Kyoto to Ohara.

On the return trip, we would like to see some scenery back to Kyoto, we choose the bus. Please advise if we need reservation in advance for the bus.

Thank you once again.
by tju (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2011/8/19 15:24
Reservations are not possible. They are regular city buses. On busy days you might not be able to sit.
by Uji rate this post as useful

... 2011/8/19 15:43
Thank you!

by tju (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: bus or train to Ohara 2011/10/26 15:59
Hello!
We are also going up to Ohara in mid-November! It's beautiful then. It is easy to go either by bus or by train to Kokusaikaikan and from there by bus. But it's cheaper by bus from Kyoto Station and I think you will see more.The train ride is all within Kyoto City, whereas by bus I think you may see more foliage and better views. However, the train option may be less crowded. Hope you have a good time! Maybe we will see one another!
Elizabeth
by E. King (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread