Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Overzealous itinerary? 2011/9/4 11:59
Here is a basic idea of my first trip to Japan planned for July next summer. It will be two weeks. I like to hike so that will be my focus. Should I pace myself differently? I feel like it may be rushed and maybe too much of the same? (2 Mountain, 2 City, and 2 Island) I will have JR pass and decided to make the most of it. What should I do? Thanks.

Day1
Flight
*Tokyo
Narita
Hotel

Day2
Tokyo to Gotemba
*Fuji
Gotemba Trail
Hike and get hut near summit

Day3
Hike to summit
Return to Gotemba
Take train to Kofu
Hotel

Day4
Take a bus to Hirogawara
Hike up Kita-dake
Ascend Kusasuberi course
Lodge near summit

Day5
Reach summit
Descend Ohkamba valley course
Hirogawara back to Kofu
Shinkansen to Kyoto
Hotel

Day6
Kyoto
Kiyomizudera
Kinkakuji
Hotel

Day7
Shinkansen to Kagoshima
Kagoshima to Yakushima
Hotel

Day8
Shiratani Unsuikyo
Hotel

Day9
Arakawa trail
Hotel

Day10
Yakushima to Kagoshima
Kagoshima to Wakkanai
Wakkanai to Rebun Island
Hotel

Day11
Hike
Hotel

Day12
Hike
Hotel

Day13
Rebun Island to Wakkanai
Wakkanai to Tokyo

Day14
Flight
by gracedescending  

... 2011/9/4 14:12
Day10
Yakushima to Kagoshima
Kagoshima to Wakkanai
Wakkanai to Rebun Island
Hotel

It is impossible to do this in a single day! It is going to take at least two days if you travel by air. Or three days if you travel by train.

Rebun Island to Wakkanai
Wakkanai to Tokyo

This can be within a day if you fly, but it requires two days if you travel by train.
by Uji rate this post as useful

I agree 2011/9/5 02:54
I agree, I must have misread something. I think I just may go for Yakushima or Rebun Island but not both; therefore, having a more relaxed trip? Which would be better in July? Thank you.
by gracedescending rate this post as useful

Your trip 2011/9/5 04:48
How many times have you been to Japan?

It has been my experience (based on 40 years of travelling here and there) that on the first trip to a town or on the first few trips to a country one should not do "one town / region a day" but stay in one town/ area for a bare minimum of 4 days, 7 days being better, in order to start learning a bit about the local culture, how the trains, transit, restaurants and cafes work...

Your itinerary is way too ambitious and tiring.
by Red frog (guest) rate this post as useful

I thought so 2011/9/5 04:58
This will be my first time to Japan so that makes a lot of sense. I am minoring in Japanese at my university so language wise I should be okay. But the transportation and the loads of transfers look intimidating.

I am into outdoors so I guess that is why I wanted so hit as much as I could instead of being cooped up. I imagine I will change my plan to:

Tokyo
Fuji
Kita-dake
Kyoto
Kagoshima
Yakushima
by gracedescending rate this post as useful

reply to this thread