Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Typhoon Talas - Travel advice 2011/9/5 18:55
Hi all,

First I would like to convey my condolence to the people affected by Typhoon Talas.

I will be arriving in Osaka next week Tuesday and will be travelling around Japan for about 2 weeks....mainly by train to Kyoto, Hiroshima, Tokyo, Takayama, Koyasan.

Just want to know how far will the Typhoon affect my travel...and how bad is te=he situation out there

thanks in advance
by bb (guest)  

... 2011/9/5 19:19
Tourist activity in Osaka, Kyoto, Hiroshima, Tokyo and Takayama is not affected by the typhoon. Only in the Koyasan area there were some landslides and road closures. One section of the train tracks to Koyasan was also affected, and trains are currently not operating along that section. Instead, substitute buses run along the affected section. It should not be a reason to cancel a trip to Koyasan, though, in my opinion. If you are worried, I recommend to consult with the temple at which you will be staying.
by Uji rate this post as useful

me too 2011/9/5 20:09
I'm going to Kansai region next week too. (Going to Osaka - Mount Koya - Nara - Kinosaki - Kyoto - Kobe) I'm quite worried though I'm glad to hear that tourist activities have not been affected.

Regarding the substitute buses to Mount Koya, do I access them from the same train station that usually operates the train that go to mount koya? I am still very keen to go and I hope there aren't further land slides..

Also, does anyone know how to get from Osaka to Kinosaki Onsen?

Keep safe

Thank you!
by chyn (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 2011/9/6 05:08
thanks a lot for the info
by bb (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2011/9/6 08:55
Regarding the substitute buses to Mount Koya, do I access them from the same train station that usually operates the train that go to mount koya?

They are not "substitute buses to Mount". They are substitute buses along a small section of the train line. A single bridge seems to be the problem of the temporary closure.

The affected section is between Hashimoto and Kii-Shimizu Station. It is just a single station as seen on the following map:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=%E7%B4%80%E4%BC%8A%E6%B8%85%E6%B0%B4%E9%...

You will take the train to Hashimoto Station just as usual and then take the substitute bus to Kii-Shimizu Station. I am sure there are signs and people guiding the passengers to the bus stop.

At Kii-Shimizu Station you will get back onto a train and make the journey to Gokurakubashi Station where you transfer to the cablecar just as usual. The usual approach is explained here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4904.html

I am still very keen to go and I hope there aren't further land slides..

The particular train track problem was caused by the river affecting the railway bridge, by the way. By now the typhoon is gone and the risk of landslides is very low.

Also, does anyone know how to get from Osaka to Kinosaki Onsen?

It is explained here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3526.html?aFROM=2157_3525
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread