Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Stay over night on the alpine route? 2011/9/7 13:10
Hi,
I plan to start the alpine route from Matsumoto side to Toyama. As far as I learn, it may take up to 8 hrs on the route. I am wondering if I should finish the day off at the destination, Takeyama or Toyama or stay overnight enroute. Can I make it for one whole day and if it is a good plan of doing so?
Thank you for any comment and help,
Woody
by Woody (guest)  

... 2011/9/7 13:20
If you have the time and money, staying overnight along the route is recommended. Here are possible lodgings:
http://www.alpen-route.com/english/Stay_plan/index.html

Otherwise, it is possible to do it in a single day, especially if you start and end your day close to the Alpen Route, such as Toyama or Matsumoto. Takayama adds another 2 to 2.5 hours to your day. A start in Tokyo an additional 2.5 to 3 hours.

The time it takes to traverse the route also depends on how busy it is. During very busy days, there can be considerable waiting times along the way. On not so busy days, no waiting times are involved.
by Uji rate this post as useful

. 2011/9/7 14:20
We are planning the Alpine Route in a few weeks too.
We will be staying in Takayama but the best train to get to Tateyama such a long day on the Alpine route leaves Takayama at ~5:30am and is a slow local train! :(

We tried to arrange accomodation at Murodo through the Hotel website (english) but the 'online availability' had it FULL for the entire year! Managed to easily arrange the same accomodation at Murodo through the Japanese Guest House website.
by Stewy63 rate this post as useful

Kurobe Gorge railway included? 2011/9/7 15:55
Thank you Uji.
If visiting Kurobe Gorge railway is also added to the plan what do you suggest me to do?
by Woody (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2011/9/7 17:47
The Kurobe Gorge gets accessed from somewhere completely different than the Kurobe Alpen Route (from the north from the Sea of Japan coast). You need two days to cover both.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Stay Overnight in Alpine Route 2011/9/8 00:25
I did the Alpine Route twice. The first time I stayed overnight in Toyama and the did the whole route next day ending up in Matsumoto. It took the whole day, starting at 07:00 am from Toyama.
The second time, I started from Kanazawa and stayed overnight in Murado at Tateyama Hotel. I also had a problem getting reservations at Tateyama Hotel via their website so I finally got it from the travel agent that got us the airfare.
I went the first time in Autumn and the second time in April. It is good to go in the spring if you want to see the snow bank. Also, if you want to take your time and hike, it is better to stay overnight in Murado.
by Mikey (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread