Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Preferred Payment in Tokyo 2011/9/8 10:39
Hello,

Does anyone happen to know about preferred payments in Tokyo? (cash or card)

We arrive via Haneda airport and are travelling to The Ritz-Carlton, Midtown Tokyo, Minato-ku. (visiting for gymnastics championships)

What would you suggest be the best method of transportation to our hotel from the airport? Taxis, Subway, Bus, train?

I do not know much. When we arrive, and try to find our way, is cash preferred on most pieces of transport, or can you use card?

Thankyou so very much for any help you may provide me with ^.^

by Alisa (guest)  

... 2011/9/8 11:30
I personally think that the Suica IC card is the most convenient way to pay for transportation (and goods and services at shops that accept Suica). Here are more details about Suica:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2359_002.html

What would you suggest be the best method of transportation to our hotel from the airport? Taxis, Subway, Bus, train?

It depends on your preference. For comfort, a taxi ride is best. It gets you there directly and comfortably, but it will be expensive (about 6000-8000 yen).

If you don't want to spend that much money, I recommend to travel by monorail and the Oedo Subway Line via Hamamatsucho/Daimon (640 yen per person). The downsides are that the monorail can be crowded during certain times of the day and that the transfer from the monorail to the Oedo Subway Line involves quite a bit of walking.

I do not know much. When we arrive, and try to find our way, is cash preferred on most pieces of transport, or can you use card?

For inexpensive monorail and subway tickets, credit cards are not a practical option or not even accepted. But for a taxi ride that costs a few thousand yen, payment by credit card would be fine.
by Uji rate this post as useful

cash is king in Tokyo 2011/9/8 12:14
For transport, get a Suica card, very convenient
But to top up, you need cash
During my recent trip to Tokyo, I did not see a Suica top up machine that accepts credit card

For shopping and meals, again cash is king
by juaralagu (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread