Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

OK to visit Sendai? 2011/9/9 05:27
I'm thinking of visiting relatives in Sendai next month (October). While they say it's OK to come, I'm just wondering if all the tsunami/earthquake debris has been cleared, if the roads/infrastructure are back to normal,are the trains running?, etc. I don't want to go and see devastation if there are still plenty of people suffering. My relatives were very lucky. Their home is intact.
by hauulagal (guest)  

... 2011/9/9 08:39
Central Sendai never had any considerable amount of tsunami/earthquake debris. Even when I visited in mid April, I could hardly see any damage. Here is a report from April 21:
http://www.japan-guide.com/blog/sakura11/110421_sendai.html

Train, subway and bus transportation to and within Sendai virtually normalized by late April, as explained here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5151.html

The situation is different in the coastal, rural suburbs of Sendai, which were hit by the tsunami. Most of the debris is cleared, but there are a lot of empty lots where houses used to stand. However, you don't see or pass through these areas if you just visit central Sendai. They are several kilometers away from the city center.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Absolutely!!!! 2011/9/9 10:30
We have relatives in Sendai and can't wait to see them in January. They describe life as normal, even if a new normal.
by fmj rate this post as useful

Population increasing 2011/9/9 13:06
Today's Asahi Shinbun newspaper tells us that among Iwate, Miyagi and Fukushima prefectures, all cities except Sendai-shi and Rifu-cho has had their population decreased during March 1st to September 1st. 2953 people increased in Sendai. Residents are coming IN.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2011/9/9 23:33
I returned from Sendai just 3 hours ago (I went as a volunteer), everything is OK.
by Mari (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread