Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Another itenerary 2011/10/26 06:36
Hello all.

Was just wondering if I could get some comments on my latest itenerary. My hubby and I along with my mother in law will be heading over next July for the Sumidagawa Fireworks and to spend time in and around Tokyo.

I've tried to group things together in areas but I think I haven't done it as well as it could be done. My mother in law will probably sit a few days out as we will be walking lots on some days, and while she is still only in her late 40's, cannot walk lots at one time. And my hubby and I like a medium to slow pace (found this out on our first trip, thought I would go alot faster than I did!). I also tried to put the 'sightseeing' things in the morning and shopping/dining in the afternoon.

Wed 18 - Fly in. Visit Tokyo Tower at night.
Thu 19 - Kamakura
Fri 20 - Ghibli, Kichojoji, Roppingi Hills
Sat 21 - Shibuya, Odaiba
Sun 22 - Harajuku, Shinjuku
Mon 23 - Kawagoe, Ikebukuro
Tue 24 - Yokohama
Wed 25 - Nikko
Thu 26 - Tskuji, Hama Rikyo, Imperial Palace Gardens, Koisikawa Koraken, Shiodome
Fri 27 - Takaosan, Akiba
Sat 28 - Asakusa, Fireworks!
Sun 29 - Ueno, Ginza
Mon 30 - Yanaka, Zojoji Temple, Edo Air Museum
Tue 31 - Head to Kusatsu
Wed 1 - Kusatsu
Thu 2 - Kusatsu, Fly home late Thursday/eary Friday

Is Tokyo Tower a good place to view Tokyo at night?
The one day I am worried about in Thu 26th. Is there any other days people might recommend I put one of the gardens in?
Does the breakup look ok? I feel like there is something wrong with it but can't put my finger on it!
My hubby and I loved all the cultural stuff we saw in Kyoto so I have tired to add alot of that in this trip as well (Edo museum, Yanaka), is there any other little hidden places around?
And one last question, is there anything else around Tokyo that would be a good idea to put in? The amount of days we will be staying isn't set in stone at all (the only thing set in stone is the fireworks day) and if there is something def worthwhile seeing I would want to stay one or two days more to see it. I was thinking maybe Matsumoto?

Thank you so much for any help!
by Imperfect  

Re: Another itenerary 2011/10/26 07:10
It looks good to me. It is a good idea to research in advance where each district is located to each other and which ones could be nicely combined into single days and eventual restrictions by closing days/hours (e.g. Tsukiji being closed on Sundays), but in the end I would decide on what to see flexiblibly from day to day, depending on weather and feeling.

Is Tokyo Tower a good place to view Tokyo at night?

I think Roppongi Hills is better:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3031_hills.html

And by July the Sky Tree will have openened, but July can still be expected to be extremely crowded:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3064.html

My hubby and I loved all the cultural stuff we saw in Kyoto so I have tired to add alot of that in this trip as well (Edo museum, Yanaka), is there any other little hidden places around?

Tokyo is full of its own kind of history. The more you know, the more interesting it gets. It is a different type of city with a different type of history and culture. You should not miss the Tokyo-Edo Museum in Ryogoku for some background. And Kamakura. In Yokohama, Sankeien Garden is very Kyoto-like.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Another itenerary 2011/10/26 22:52
I was thinking too of going to Japan during that time of the year. I've been to Tokyo and Kyoto before, and i think that no matter what you put in your itinerary that it's doubtful you can make Tokyo feel even remotely like Kyoto. Even if you somehow manage it my opinion is that it would be a mistake if you do, it would be a false image of Tokyo. Tokyo is a huge metropolis where lot's of people live and work, it's not so much a tourist attraction in the typical sense like Kyoto.

The main difference between what i am planning and what you're planning is that i thought it would be a good opportunity to get a taste of the gion matsuri ( http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3942.html ), Yoiyama and the parade the day after (16 & 17 of July) in Kyoto.

The one day I am worried about in Thu 26th. Is there any other days people might recommend I put one of the gardens in?
I wouldn't go to Koisikawa Koraken during that day, and i'd add Yasukuni Shrine right after my imperial palace gardens visit. Yasukuni may be controvercial but i think it would be interesting to visit.

Sun 29 - Ueno, Ginza
Mon 30 - Yanaka, Zojoji Temple, Edo Air Museum

If i'm not mistaken the Yanaka area is between Ueno and Ginza, so i'd move Yanaka to the Ueno & Ginza day, but i wouldn't see too much of Ginza anyway because i found it underwhelming on my last visit.

Other than that:

- I'd plan to be in akihabara on a Sunday, somewhere in between 13:00 and 18:00 because it's main road becomes a pedestrian street during that time, and one can view a lot more cosplay etc there.

- I'd move the asakusa visit to another day, and go in the evening of that day to odaiba via tokyo water bus ( http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3042.html ), and go back to my hotel via monorail. Though i've heard that Odaiba has gone downhill over the years,i guess that it still might be worth a visit. I would move the edo-tokyo museum visit right before the fireworks display.

I understand that you might not be interested in any of the above, i'm just listing them as some options that you could consider.
by iapetos rate this post as useful

Re: Another itenerary 2011/10/27 14:11
Thank Uji, the Sky Tree looks awsome! We do not know what time we will fly in yet, so I would love to do to Roppongi Hills for a view and some food and than the Sky Tree, as long as time permits.Thanks for the heads up on the Tokyo-Edo Museum in Ryogoku and the Sankeien Garden. Will be adding them!

Iapetos, we are def not trying to make Tokyo like Kyoto. Was just saying that the culture and history fo Kyoto was one of our highlights so would love to see some of Tokyos.
We're planning of visiting a few of the Ueno museums and taking lots of scenic photos so not sure if that day will be good for Yanaka. But for now we are miving Roppongi hills to the first day so I might pop Yanaka into there and move a few things around.
We were thinking of going for the Gion Matsuri as well but I don't think money will permit us. We def aren't changing plans on the Sat 28 as that is the Sumidagawa fireworks festival. Going to spend a relaxing day in Asakusa and get really good seats for the fireworks.
And I'll def try to get another visit to Akiba into a sunday arvo (two visits still prob wont be enough for us!) for the street closing.

Thanks so much for the replies!
by Imperfect rate this post as useful

Re: Another itenerary 2011/10/28 14:15
Though i've heard that Odaiba has gone downhill over the years,i guess that it still might be worth a visit.

It is the first time I hear that assessment. I personally think it is more interesting than ever before. But over the 20 years since its opening it has probably lost some of its "futuristic" character. Some people have never liked it to begin with, though. But for shopping, dining and entertainment, i definitely consider it worthwhile.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread