Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

April 20th - March 12th too busy? 2012/1/20 04:28
Hi there,
I am considering traveling to Japan April 20th-March 12th 2012. I'm hoping to start in Tokyo, and go through to major points, Nikko, Takayama, Kyoto, Nara, Osaka, Hiroshima, Nagasaki.

Will this time frame make it insanely busy? I know Golden week is right in the middle of that time frame, but just curious if the crowds and such will make it too busy to get around and ruin the experience.

Any insights people could share would be greatly appreciated!
by Jay Single (guest)  

Re: April 20th - March 12th too busy? 2012/1/20 08:21
I assume you mean April 20 to May 12, 2012.

Will this time frame make it insanely busy?

Golden Week can be very busy, especially on the national holidays and weekends, but outside of the Golden Week it will not be particularly busy.

The following page mentions the dates when transportation can be expected to be very busy:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2282.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: April 20th - March 12th too busy? 2012/1/27 03:31
Yes, I meant 2012. I guess I was just wondering if the busy-ness will ruin the experience. I've checked those dates and just wondering where the places will be busiest.
by Jay Single (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: April 20th - March 12th too busy? 2012/1/27 09:49
During GW, expect traffic jams and crowded public transportation.At the beginning or the end of GW, major highways will have traffic jams that are dozes of miles long. For planes, trains and buses, get tickets well in advance. Also expect hotels to charge the highest rates.

Also expect long lines at amusement park attractions. Best to plan your trip to avoid places popular with kids during GW as parents will plan these trips when kids are off school.

In contrast city center traffic will be smooth so I suggest you plan to spend GW period in cities and go shopping or do other urban activities.
by Harry Takeuchi rate this post as useful

reply to this thread