Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Suggested itinerary for 17-night trip 2012/1/24 06:57
Hello all,

I'm visiting Japan for 18 days 17 nights from the 23rd March (we get into Tokyo 24th morning) to the 10th April. Apart from flight tickets, we haven't planned our itinerary as yet, but have made a compound list of places we'd like to visit. Ideally we'd like to whittle this list down to a few places and not have a rushed trip.

The things we are keen to visit are:
- Visit and Tokyo and Kyoto and get to spend ample time in both places
- Visit Kanazawa (the gardens and museum of contemporary art)
- Visit Takayama and Kiso Valley
- Visit Yudanaka and see the snow monkeys

If possible, we'd be keen to fit in:
- Kamakura, Nara, Osaka, Hiroshima, Nikko, Hakone

We're very keen to see a bit of the cities (Tokyo, Kyoto) and some of the Japanese countryside, ideally a mountainous rather than a seaside location. We've also *very* keen to spend one (or, if recommended) two nights in an ryokan and visit the onsen.

We've decided to purchase the 14-day JR pass. I think we're going to plan the trip so that we'll be in Tokyo for the first two nights (24th, 25th) and the last three nights (7th, 8th, 9th). I believe the Roppongi Art Night is on the 24th of March this year, so we've been fortunate with the timing.

1. Would love recommendations for which places we should add to our 'keen' list and which places we should substitute?
2. I've been told by a few friends that Hakone is a must-see especially if one's keen on an onsen/ryokan stay. Is this true, or is it simply because of the proximity to Tokyo?
3. Also are we spending too much time in Tokyo? Would it be worth substituting one of the days on the last three for a day trip somewhere (Nara or Nikko)?
4. We were recommended this ryokan, but it looks a bit expensive: http://www.gorahanaougi.com/english/. Any other recommendations?
5. Given both stretches in Tokyo are relatively short, is it worth looking for a flat instead of a hotel?

Since we're taking the 14-day JR pass, we've also appreciate any suggestions for what circuit to take.

Thank you all.
by insomniac1  

... 2012/1/24 12:11
I'm visiting Japan for 18 days 17 nights from the 23rd March (we get into Tokyo 24th morning) to the 10th April. Apart from flight tickets, we haven't planned our itinerary as yet, but have made a compound list of places we'd like to visit. Ideally we'd like to whittle this list down to a few places and not have a rushed trip.

Always a difficult task with lots on your list!

The things we are keen to visit are:
- Visit and Tokyo and Kyoto and get to spend ample time in both places

- Visit Kanazawa (the gardens and museum of contemporary art)
- Visit Takayama and Kiso Valley
- Visit Yudanaka and see the snow monkeys

If possible, we'd be keen to fit in:
- Kamakura, Nara, Osaka, Hiroshima, Nikko, Hakone

You will have to balance this a bit. In general I'd recommend Osaka as a base to see Kyoto/Nara/Osaka/Hiroshima. You will be there at a busy time so finding hotels in Kyoto will not be easy/cheap. We usually stay near Shin-Osaka Station as it is very convenient with a rail pass to wherever you wish to go, 14 minutes to Kyoto for example.

We're very keen to see a bit of the cities (Tokyo, Kyoto) and some of the Japanese countryside, ideally a mountainous rather than a seaside location. We've also *very* keen to spend one (or, if recommended) two nights in an ryokan and visit the onsen.

For Ryokan, if you don't need a Ryokan + Onsen then there are many nice Ryokan in Takayama and Kanazawa. They may well be cheaper than say Kyoto or Hakone. You could also consider an onsen ryokan near the snow monkeys.

We've decided to purchase the 14-day JR pass. I think we're going to plan the trip so that we'll be in Tokyo for the first two nights (24th, 25th) and the last three nights (7th, 8th, 9th). I believe the Roppongi Art Night is on the 24th of March this year, so we've been fortunate with the timing.

If it was me I'd probably spend a little more in Tokyo at the start, and less at the end. Mostly due to the fact that the Cherry Blossoms may be nicer somewhere like Kyoto. It depends a little on what your priorities are though, and also which day trips you plan (Kamakura at the end would be ok).

1. Would love recommendations for which places we should add to our 'keen' list and which places we should substitute?

You might wish to add Matsumoto to see Matusmoto castle. For the others I'd try and be somewhat flexible from your bases and decide once you are there.

2. I've been told by a few friends that Hakone is a must-see especially if one's keen on an onsen/ryokan stay. Is this true, or is it simply because of the proximity to Tokyo?

Cherry Blossoms + Mt Fuji + onsen often make Hakone a must see for people.

3. Also are we spending too much time in Tokyo? Would it be worth substituting one of the days on the last three for a day trip somewhere (Nara or Nikko)?

I assume you mean Kamakura or Nikko? I'd probably suggest Kamakura as Nikko will still be quite cool, with no Cherry Blossoms.

4. We were recommended this ryokan, but it looks a bit expensive: http://www.gorahanaougi.com/english/. Any other recommendations?

I'll let the others offer some. In general use some of the search sites like Japanican, or rakuten, or jalan and then combine with tripadvisor and a grain of salt!

5. Given both stretches in Tokyo are relatively short, is it worth looking for a flat instead of a hotel?

I'd just use a hotel, plenty of options in all budget ranges.

Since we're taking the 14-day JR pass, we've also appreciate any suggestions for what circuit to take.

I think I'd go see the snow monkeys first, so Tokyo - Nagano - Kiso Valley - Takayama - Shirakawago - Kanazawa - Osaka . Then day trips for Nara/Kyoto/Hiroshima. Then Osaka to Tokyo and do Hakone as a day trip at the end, or overnight at the end.

Once you are happy with a path and know what you wish to see it will be easier to narrow down the exact number of nights in each place.

I'd probably go with something like 4 nights Tokyo, 1 night snow monkeys, 2 nights Takayama, 2 nights Kanazawa, 6 nights Osaka, 2 nights Tokyo (Hakone day trip).

You might wish to consider an overnight stay in Shirakawago too.

Enjoy your trip!
by GC3 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread