Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is this itenerary reasonable to do in 10days? 2012/2/24 00:34
We'll be in Japan for 10 days during the beguining of April and we are wondering weather the plan we have made will allow us to enjoy the most of Japan. Any advice/tips would be very appreciated:

1st day: Arrival Tokyo @ 4:45 am
2nd day: Tokyo
3rd day: Kyoto
4th day: Kyoto
5th Day: Kyoto-Nara
6th dau: Nara
7th day: Hioroshima
8th day: Hioroshima-Miyajima
9th day: Tokyo
10th day: flight back @6:25

Thanks!
by Vania Coelho (guest)  

Re: Is this itenerary reasonable to do in 10days? 2012/2/24 08:31
It looks very good to me.
by Uji rate this post as useful

... 2012/2/24 10:05
Can you give us the exact date that you land?

It may make a difference due to the Cherry Blossom season, and also weekends.

If you have not booked accommodation yet, then Kyoto is likely to be busy/expensive. If you are on a budget you may wish to consider Osaka as a base (or possibly Nara I guess).

If you don't wish to stay at Nara overnight (ie move hotels) it is an easy day trip from Osaka/Kyoto.

I would avoid Kyoto on the weekend if you can as it is likely to be very crowded due to the Cherry Blossoms.

Depending on your actual arrival date, and also the progress of the Cherry Blossoms, you may wish to switch around Kyoto and Hiroshima. Another option to consider if you don't mind switching hotels a bit is to put Hiroshima in the middle of your Kyoto stay giving you two chances of seeing the Cherry Blossoms in Kyoto. I would especially do this if day 5 and 6 are the weekend for example.

Sakura information including predictions:-
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2011.html
Predictions change so keep an eye on the above page.

Also if you want to see a castle Hikone as a half day trip from Kyoto may be nice:-
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e7000.html

I assume you will purchase a 7-day JR Pass before you come to Japan, and activate it on Day 3.

Enjoy your trip!
by GC3 rate this post as useful

Re: Is this itenerary reasonable to do in 10days? 2012/2/24 15:03
Yes it is doable! I did something similar during winter period where daylight period is shorter.

Did a 12 days which included your above and 1.5 days in Osaka and 0.5 day in Kobe.
by Sam (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is this itenerary reasonable to do in 10days? 2012/2/24 21:53
Many Thanks for all your prompt replies!

We are landing on the 7th of April. So yes, I think we will be very lucky to have the opportunity to see the cherry blossoms :)

We have already bought a 7-day JR pass. Will we have to book the trips before getting into the train? Or are we free to jump in any allowed train?

Another thing we are worried about is the money. How easy should it be to get Yens from an ATM with a british credit card?
We tought of bringing some cash with us but we dont wont to carry a lot of money arround. Any advice would be usefull.

Also, on our way back we need to be at Haneda airpot at about 5 o'clock in the morning. Will there be any public transport at that time, to take us there?

Many thanks!
by vania coelho (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is this itenerary reasonable to do in 10days? 2012/2/25 02:07
we need to be at Haneda airport at about 5 o'clock in the morning.

You can choose your hotel among those offering a shuttle bus to International Terminal before 5 am and those located close to Shinagawa Station.
: Hotel JAL City Haneda Tokyo: Airport shuttle bus timetable:
- http://www.haneda.jalcity.co.jp/eng/map_timetable.html
: Toyoko Inn Haneda Kuko No. 1 & 2: Bus time schedule:
- http://www.toyoko-inn.com/hotel/00042/shuttlebus.html
The earliest railroad access from Shinagawa is...
Shinagawa: Track 1 (04:33) ---- (04:38) Hamamatsucho --transfer-- Monorail Hamamatsucho (04:58) ---- (05:12) Haneda Airport International Flight Building.

How easy should it be to get Yens from an ATM with a British credit card?
We thought of bringing some cash with us but we don't wont to carry a lot of money around.

Generally speaking, cash can be more useful in Japan than a credit card.
According to this article, cards which can be used via PLUS network or Cirrus network are accepted by some ATMs in Japan.
- http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2208.html

Among yen banknotes, blue 1000-yen notes are widely accepted by machines except for some drink-vending machines. Money-exchanger / fare-collection machines on local buses and some ticket-vending machines in railroad stations only accept 1000-yen notes. Except for those in Okinawa, 2000-yen notes are almost not being used in daily shopping.
- http://www.boj.or.jp/en/note_tfjgs/note/valid/issue.htm/

I guess most convenience stores are not offering money exchanging service. Some bank branches have a money-exchanger machine near ATMs, but its operation time may be shorter than the ATMs.

Will we have to book the trips before getting into the train?

I guess you can reserve all your seats of Shinkansen on the 1st day unless you stick to specific conditions such as a time zone.
Your ride back to Tokyo will be on a Sunday, but each of the other long-distance rides is planned to be taken in a weekday's daytime during 9 - 12 April [the 3rd to the 7th days]. By that time probably spring vacation will be over for school kids of most schools except for those in northeastern Japan.

Japan Rail Pass Exchange Office in HND will be open only from 11:00. Please find the best office for you. (You will not have to activate your JRP on the day you will receive it.)
- http://www.japanrailpass.net/eng/en006.html
- http://www.japanrailpass.net/eng/en009.html

We are landing on the 7th of April. So yes, I think we will be very lucky to have the opportunity to see the cherry blossoms :)

Maybe it will be a bit early to see them in full bloom, but I hope you will find a good spot to see them.

Japan Mint, whose office is located in Osaka City, hosts annually an event called "Sakura no toori-nuke" (literally: passing through cherry), which lasts for 7 days. Maybe you will be in Osaka on one of the 7 days, maybe not.
If you hope to try your luck, you might consider securing 4 hours in Osaka on your way back to Tokyo. Please don't forget that it will be a Sunday, when such a popular event can be visited by many people.
The details on the 2012 event are to be announced in the coming March, like this example regarding the 2011 event.
- http://www.mint.go.jp/eng/topics/new/page28.html

Good luck!

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Correction 2012/2/25 02:14
Sorry for a typo!
"9 - 12 April" in my previous post should be "9 - 13 April."

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: Is this itenerary reasonable to do in 10days? 2012/2/25 02:47
We have already bought a 7-day JR pass. Will we have to book the trips before getting into the train? Or are we free to jump in any allowed train?

You have to exchange your JR Pass VOUCHER for the actual pass. When you get the pass get seats on the Shinkansen at the same time. There is no extra charge for reserved seats. Get seats D and E to be on the Mt. Fuji side of the train.

Here are the stations and hours to get your pass at Information Centers and Travel Service Centers.

Haneda Airport International Terminal 11:00-18:30
Tokyo Station -
JAPAN RAIL PASS Exch. Corner (Yaesu North) 7:30-20:30
JR-CENTRAL Ticket Office (Yaesu Central) 7:30-20:30
Ueno Sta.-Info. Center (Central Ticket Gate) 9:00-19:00
Shinjuku Station -
Info. Center (South Ticket Gate ) 9:00-19:00
Info. Center (East Ticket Gate) 9:00-19:00
Shibuya Station - Info. Center (South) 10:00-18:30
Ikebukuro Sta.-Info. Center (Central Passage) 9:30-18:00
Shinagawa Station -
Info. Center (Central Ticket Gate) 9:00-19:00
JR-CENTRAL Ticket Office 9:00-19:00

Also, on our way back we need to be at Haneda airpot at about 5 o'clock in the morning. Will there be any public transport at that time, to take us there?
A little too early. Trains start around 5:00. On your last night you had better stay near Haneda. There are several TOYOKO INNs and others. Then take a taxi to the airport.

About Hiroshima and Miyajima. I suggest doing Miyajima the first day. Going from Miyajima to Tokyo is difficult and slow. Much easier and faster from Hiroshima.

I suggest staying near SHIN-OSAKA station (the Shinkansen terminal). With your pass it's only 14 minutes to Kyoto from there.
by Dick H rate this post as useful

Re: Is this itenerary reasonable to do in 10days? 2012/2/25 05:41
Using a POSTAL ATM is easy. After using my ATM card, I ended up not cashing in my travelers checkes, and came home with them.

The itinerary is good, but I would REVERSE it, and start in Hiroshima, because the cherry blossums will be in bloom there first. The other consideration is lunar tides, and Miyajima Island will have highest and lowest tides of the month on April 7th-8th. Plan to spend a full day there and photograph the shrine and tori gate at low and high tide.

On the first day of activation, use your rail pass in the morning to get to Hiroshima (4 hours by bullet), but after that, plan to travel to your hotel in the evening, and use all of your daytime hours for sightseeing.

I also agree that you might concider staying near Shin-Osaka station when visiting Kyoto and Nara. The hotel costs will be lower.

Good Luck!
by ebaychucky311 rate this post as useful

Re: Is this itenerary reasonable to do in 10days? 2012/2/25 22:44
Thank you so much to everyone that has posted some comments and advice. That was really very helpfull! Really appreciated!
Im getting very excited with our trip to Japan!
by vania coelho (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread