Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Rail pass questions in Kansai area 2012/3/29 06:05
Hello there.

I will travel to Japan for the very first time with my friend also his first time. We have 10 days, and plans to stay in Kyoto 6 nights and Osaka the last 4 nights.

What combination should I buy JR West Rail passes? Ex. like should I buy 2 x 4 days passes or other combinations/ other type of tickets?

Here is my short plan of transportation:
Day 1: Train from Kansai airport to Kyoto
Day 4: Day trip from Kyoto to Nara
Day 7: Train from Kyoto to Osaka
Day 9: Possible day trip to Kobe/Himeji
Day 11: Train from Osaka to Kansai airport

Thank you so much.
by mattidk  

... 2012/3/29 08:45
I would buy a JR West One Day Pass for Day 1 to get from Kansai to Kyoto (2000 yen)

And another JR West One Day pass to go to Himeji (assuming you know about castle renovations).

You will need to purchase at least one of these outside Japan as you can only buy one inside Japan.

The Osaka unlimited pass may pay off depending on what you wish to see in Osaka.

Individual tickets for the rest.

Enjoy your trip!
by GC3 rate this post as useful

Re: Rail pass questions in Kansai area 2012/3/29 11:53
Just checking, why will we need the JR west pass from Kansai to Kyoto? If i'm taking nonJR trains, it will only cost 1620 yen right?
also, would it be better if i get the 2 day Surutto Kansai Pass at 5000yen? assuming the following:
Day 2: kyoto(stn)-nara-iga ueno-kyoto
Day 3: Kyoto (stn) - Arashiyama - Kyoto (stn)
Could you also enlighten me on what is a seat price (in hyperdia)? coz sometimes got seat fee.. sometimes dun have.
by Zeph (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Rail pass questions in Kansai area 2012/3/29 12:29
You can travel from KIX to Kyoto at 1200yen(Kyoto access kippu from Nankai railway), if you don't mind transferring twice.

JR west pass is 2000yen and it's a direct train.

It's mandatory to reserve a seat and pay seat fee on the LTD EXP trains on Nankai & Kintetsu railway. Kansai Thru Pass doesn't cover it.

If you don't want to pay it, you can also take slower EXP or Local trains.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Rail pass questions in Kansai area 2012/3/30 06:55
Thank you so much for your answers. I will try to buy only one ticket outside japan, and get another one at the airport when i arrive then.
by mattidk rate this post as useful

reply to this thread