Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 25 of 25
prev
1 2

here 2011/6/9 22:23
There is a really good thread on the Lonely planet thorntree that has a lot of places that are not so well know. In some cases that's for good reason, but there are quite a lot of places that aren't in guide books.

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=1484313
by some ideas (guest) rate this post as useful

Nakano Broadway 2011/6/10 04:49
In Nakano Broadway when you go up by escalator, you skip one floor. I noticed it when I took the stairs down and didn't have time to explore that area anymore. If you have a flexible schedule , go to Nakano on a rainy day, if there is one, as it is an indoor mall.
by Nigo (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2011/6/12 18:35
Okay so I've finally gone through all the wonderful suggestions and marked them on a map. There'll definitely be a visit to Nokogiriyama and Takaosan. We'll also spend lots of time freely wandering around Nakano Broadway, Namco Namjatown, Daikanyama and Shimokitazawa. There's more of course, but those are the main things. Thanks yet again for the suggestions.
by Sal1980 rate this post as useful

As others have said.. 2011/6/12 20:10
As someone else stated, Shimokitazawa is a definitely a good 'non-touristy' place to visit. The best way to describe it is 'quirky' or 'bohemian'. It's full of tiny little streets and side streets that shoot off in all directions, lined with quirky little shops and stalls that will appeal to all types.

Definitely a must see away from the hustle and bustle of Tokyo.

Best of all, it's only a few stops away from Shibuya and Shinjuku.
by AD (guest) rate this post as useful

Follow up 2011/9/11 00:14
So, we just got back from our recent trip as above. Saw heaps, and had a wonderful time. Here's some feedback for future travellers.....

Yanaka - felt like we weren't even in Tokyo anymore, and as per the earlier link we bought tea and sembei. So quiet and quaint.

Kagaya restaurant, Shimbashi - crazy, brilliant, laughed so hard our faces hurt. You MUST visit the host, Mark, for a thoroughly entertaining dinner. It was as bizarre as hoped.

Takaosan - caught the cable car up, went up to the top via track 4, went back to the monkeys via track 1, then chair lift down. It was clear enough to see Fujisan too. We enjoyed the beautiful scenery and city escape.

Nokogiriyama was a no go due to the ferry being cancelled that day, and unfortunately we didn't find out til we were at Kurihama and didn't have time to go the long way. It would pay to find out before going. Saw Godzilla at Kurihama flower park though.

Shimokitazawa, Daikanyama and Nakameguro - trendy, great to wander around. The vintage shops were fun to look at.

Kagurazaka - had a brief stroll and bought some beautiful pottery, but all in all it didn't seem to stand out from other areas.

Kiyosumi - stunning, peaceful, photogenic, calming.

Nakano Broadway - an indoor alternative to shopping in Akihabara for anime/gaming goods, though it didn't offer the gaming itself and the rest of the centre seemed a bit dowdy and nanna. I'd suggest it if you wanted to step back from the street presence that Akiba offers, and focus on otaku items and books.

Namco Namjatown - kitsch, but appealing to us. The gyoza and icecream drew us in, and didn't disappoint. Not sure why you'd get the access pass though, as the attractions didn't seem good value.

Fuji Q Highland - total disappointment because of the 3hr average wait time. We could never have found the time for all 4 big rides, and the Tobu Q Pack was a massive waste of (non-refundable) money.

Alcatraz ER - despite the cheesy roleplaying, I don't think I'll ever not look back fondly about spending my birthday having a deranged 'drunk' Dr pour me tequila shots in an ashtray, or have a drink stirred with a vibrator by a slutty nurse. The food was tastier than I imagined too.

Gothic Lolita bar, Golden Gai - relaxed feel, cute theme. It was like hanging out at a friend's house.

Christon Cafe - that's some interior decor!
by Sal1980 rate this post as useful

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 25 of 25
prev
1 2

reply to this thread