Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 27 of 27
prev
1 2

Re: Honeymoon in Japan 2011/10/18 11:48
Actually Osaka was, for a short while, the capital of Japan BEFORE Nara...it was called Naniwa then, and some remains can be seen by Osaka Museum of History, across a wide avenue from the south side of the castle...

from http://www.pref.osaka.jp/en/introduction/history.html :
"It is known that humans have inhabited what is now called Osaka since more than 10,000 years ago. Around the 5th century A.D., Chinese culture was introduced to Japan via the Korean peninsula, and Osaka became the center of politics and culture of Japan.

In the 7th century, the first capital of Japan, modeled after the capital of China, was established in Osaka.

Thereafter, though the capital was subsequently moved to nearby Nara and Kyoto, Osaka continued to flourish uninterruptedly, serving as the gateway of culture and trade"

In Sakai, a suburb of Osaka is the giant funeral mound of Emperor Nintoku, going back to the late 4th century AD..

Osaka is one of my favorite cities in the whole world..I much prefer it to Tokyo..
by Red frog (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Honeymoon in Japan 2011/10/18 16:37
You made me curious, GC3, and I had a look at their availability as a result. There are actually a few rooms available over that period still. There's a deluxe twin with ensuite that would cost a total of 41000 for 2nd, 3rd, 4th November (for 2 persons). The 3-bed private with ensuite would be 41100 for the same 3 nights. It's not the most budget, but for a private bathroom and non-Western accommodation it's not horribly priced. Surely there are more affordable places around....... okay, so now I've made myself curious. Ikoi-no-Ie Kyoto has a room with ensuite available all those nights, at 5500 yen total per night. If you didn't require an ensuite, your options are even greater and much cheaper. I was looking at Hostelworld.com by the way.

Also, with the night most of us have recommended you spend in Miyajima (or Hiroshima if you've got budget issues), may I suggest you don't do that at either end of the Kansai section of your trip. Stay in Kyoto (or a cheapie hotel in Osaka near Namba or Shinosaka station as Dick H has highlighted if it's just for the sake of a bed for a night) prior to heading to Chugoku, or the night you leave Chugoku. You don't want to spend a day travelling to/from Hiroshima/Miyajima to/from Tokyo.

How about Koyasan? It's stunning.

Here's an example of where it'd be nice to spend the nights, in my opinion:
2nd Kyoto
3rd Kyoto
4th Koyasan
5th Osaka
6th Miyajima (or Hiroshima)
7th Osaka

And without Koyasan:
2nd Kyoto
3rd Kyoto
4th Kyoto
5th Kyoto
6th Miyajima (or Hiroshima)
7th Osaka

Handy accommodation sites:
http://www.itcj.jp/eng/index.php
http://www.japaneseguesthouses.com/index.htm
http://www.shukubo.jp/eng/05_syukubo.html

Also, I re-read an earlier response. In terms of daytripping from Tokyo, don't drop Kamakura. It's so close to Tokyo, yet so different. If you go to Nikko, be aware that Edo Mura is really quite staged and more of a tourist attraction than an historical village. It's far from cheap, but if you like kitschy places, go for it. In terms of ninja's, we found the ninja museum at Iga Ueno to be more informative. It's a long way out of the way though.

We spent our honeymoon relaxing on a secluded island in Fiji for 10 days, but I'm sure envious of your plans! You'll have a brilliant time :)

Sorry for the word wall.
by Sal1980 rate this post as useful

Re: Honeymoon in Japan 2011/10/20 13:12
Hey everyone, I think we are all wasting our time. VNN has not shown anyone the courtesy of replying.
by Dick H rate this post as useful

Re: Honeymoon in Japan 2011/10/20 15:55
Dick, I think that's a little harsh. VNN has added to this thread since it was created, and is probably busy at the moment organising their wedding. Relax, man.
by Sal1980 rate this post as useful

Re: Honeymoon in Japan 2011/10/28 00:03
i am not the originator of this, but i appreciate all the info as i will be going honeymoon with my wife as well from 1/11-10/11.
by tehcs rate this post as useful

Re: Honeymoon in Japan 2011/10/28 06:19
I agree with Jay Key.
I was born in Hiroshima, and I live in Tokyo.
Miyajima is very cool, but no value to go and return.
And Kamakura is very beautiful samurai's city.
There are a lot of zen temples.But, Kamakura looks like Kyoto and Nara.
If I were you, I stay Kyoto and Nara for a long time.Japanese beauty is condensed in there (and Tokyo).

Have a good time!
by ajapanese (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Honeymoon in Japan 2011/10/28 09:29
I disagree strongly that Miyajima and Hiroshima are not worth the trip and that there is nothing worthwhile outside of Tokyo, Kyoto, and Nara. Tokyo and Kyoto are of course the most popular places, but there are MANY attractions outside that are equally important and amazing if not better than those that you find in Kyoto and Tokyo.

Gardens come to mind as something that even Kyoto does not have the best of. None of those places have original castles, and although Kyoto has some nice hiking places around the outer edges of the city, the best nature in Japan is also NOT in those cities.

Even the preserved Edo period buildings in Kyoto do not compare to others such as Kurashiki, which would actually be a great place for honeymooners to visit, I think, because the canal gives it a romantic feel.

People with interests in gardens, castles, nature, and historic districts should definitely venture out beyond Kyoto, Tokyo, and Nara. (and anyone interested in WWII would want to go elsewhere as well)

Miyajima is an amazing experience and even if you THINK you have seen enough shrines and temples in Kyoto, Itsukushima Shrine in Miyajima is a completely different experience and I don't know anyone who has regretted visiting Miyajima. It is unique, iconic, and just plain beautiful.

by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 27 of 27
prev
1 2

reply to this thread