Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 31 of 31
prev
1 2

Re: 4000USD for 10 days? 2011/12/12 01:28
I recommend the GYUDON of SukiYa, MatsuYa or YoshinoYa to eat cheap, if you can eat beef (not a vegetarian).
It's about 300-400 yen and tasty.
And you can find this chain store anywhere.
Of course, 7-11 is the best convenience store in Japan, and supply the high quality BENTOs under 500 yen surely.
(Don't forget heat by a microwave oven in the store, perhaps there is not in the cheap hotel)
Today, I studied with surprise that the electric range in Japanese is the microwave oven in English...
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

Re: 4000USD for 10 days? 2011/12/12 04:03
I was with a Japanese friend who said "let's get lunch" and proceeded to take me to 7-11. I was horrified until I got there and saw that the obento is really good food

Hahaha!! This is so absolutely true. Reminds me of my own experiences.

Another surprise is Denny's. It's nothing like America!!
by Shimada Jiei rate this post as useful

Re: 4000USD for 10 days? 2011/12/12 11:41
Do those convenience stores have sub sandwiches or something similar? Being away from my hotel the whole day I'll probably be relying on such places. What do those bentos have?
by chris (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 4000USD for 10 days? 2011/12/12 13:38
Do those convenience stores have sub sandwiches or something similar?

Yes, lots of fresh sandwiches, rice balls, bentos and other meals and snacks. The competition among the stores is intense, which results in surprisingly good quality, especially in the big cities.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: 4000USD for 10 days? 2011/12/12 15:43
Being away from my hotel the whole day I'll probably be relying on such places. What do those bentos have?
When will you come Japan?
If it's not in winter, you can eat in a square, a public park or a dry river bed, and so on.
(Just a reminder.Particularly, in Kyoto, never forget to toss your garbage into the trash box.If you can't see the trash box, you put into plastic bag of convenience store and carry it.)

Japanese Convenience Stores(コンビニ:konbini)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w60UH5hgsgM#t=0m14s
Bento of 7-11
http://www.sej.co.jp/products/kodawaribento.html
Gyudon of MatsuYa
http://www.matsuyafoods.co.jp/menu/list/index.html?cate=A#iconExplanat...
And the instant ramens(precooked Chinese noodles?) is very cheap on the drug stores.But, the boiling water is not in the drug stores.

Re: 4000USD for 10 days? 2011/12/12 16:12
I plan to come in may or the fall of next year depending on my money situation. Looking forward to fall more so I can see the nice colors and gives me more time to save. The food quality and amount look excellent. Much better than a sandwich or burger you can get from a similar store in america. You microwave them in the store or do you eat cold?
by chris (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 4000USD for 10 days? 2011/12/12 17:00
Convenience store food can be heated by the store staff.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: 4000USD for 10 days? 2011/12/12 19:04
I supplement Uji's say.
Perhaps the store staff ask you that you want to heat or not.
"atatame masuka?" or "oAtatame wa?"(strange Japanese)
Then, "oNegai shimasu" is a good reply.

If he gives you the bento without heau up,
you should say "range up please".
Because "range"(レンジ:renji) means "microwave" in Japanese,
so many Japanese can understand "range"(as microwave) and "please".

Anywhere in Japan, Japanese understand that you want to microwave, if you show the bento and say "range up".

Re: 4000USD for 10 days? 2011/12/12 19:37
"Those dirt cheap places are called hostels, not hotels in Japan."

Are you sure? I worked at a chain Hostel in Tokyo before, so i know what's the difference between a Hostel, Hotel, and a Guest House.

some simple clicks on Rakuten, i found a bunch of business hotels with shower/bath and toilet includes in the room cost between 3000-4000 yen.

the majority of them are in the Shitamachi area though. However, the original poster makes it clear that his/her main purposes are sightseeing and food...so Shitamachi is a good choice vs the eastern part.

Beside Tokyo, the person can find many business hotels about 3000 yen level aroundn the country. I myself have booked 3 nights in Sapporo for the upcoming Yuki Matsuri....a 3 stars hotel for only 3300 yen/night.

I'd recommend the Kansai area, especially Osaka with cheap accomodation and high quality food.
by just a guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 4000USD for 10 days? 2011/12/12 19:52
i'm a cheap ass so:

Accommodations for 11 nights @ $25/night (hostel)...$275 for 11 nights. (since you won't shop a lot, so hostel maybe a good choice for saving money or spend on something else)

Food: i usually had a simple breakfast @ convenience stores. for example: Onigiri, nikuman, etc about $3 would fill you up. For lucnh, i would go for something a little nice around $15..because i would have to walk alot after that...then a mild dinner set about $12. Heavy dinner will get you fat :(...so average $30/day. 11 days is $330

Rail pass 400USD fixed

Airline ticket 1,000USD fixed

Subways/bus fares 200USD (you can get day pass or special tickets)

Do whatever money 800USD

Buffer 1000USD

Total 4,000

Just use it for reference.
by just a guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 4000USD for 10 days? 2011/12/12 20:22
Hi, chris.
may or the fall is nice season.

BTW, I think your plan has too much movement.
How about restricting in Kanto(Tokyo, Yokohama and Nikko) and Kansai(Kyoto, Nara and Osaka) area?
I recommend walking the outside of the sightseeing area in Tokyo or Kyoto.
Maybe you are insatiable in those area only.
And almost all temples and shrines in Tokyo are for free.

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 31 of 31
prev
1 2

reply to this thread